Monday, February 11, 2013

Coffee on a Snowy Morning

I love coffee. I love snow. So my day is already made :) It hasn't snowed here in Oxford for a while, so I'm really enjoying looking out my window and seeing the white every where. That's something I usually miss about Minnesota when I'm in California. Although I appreciate the sun and warmth in California, only getting three weeks of the most beautiful season (despite it being freezing haha) is really sad for me! So I'm appreciating having this winter season this year :)

When I look out the window, I feel like I'm living in the movie "The Holiday" with Jude Law and Cameron Diaz (I still want to go visit the cute little town that movie was filmed in!) because of the little lane and my wonderful house! It's all so great and I still don't feel like I actually live here, even though it's been more than a month haha! Crazy!

This past weekend was great! On Friday, Amanda and I went out dancing. First off, it's important that I note before we decided to go to a club, we were told that the clubs in Oxford aren't sketchy and gross like in America. And this was definitely an accurate statement! We were never creepily approached by sketchy men, which was great! Haha! The club had different levels and played great music (mostly American, gotcha England!) and we just had fun dancing and being young women in England! I too often sit at home because I'm a homebody and would rather curl up on the couch with a book or watch a movie, but I'm 21 and I'm in England! So I'm making myself do things I might not usually do! We didn't get home until 3am (I've never done anything like that so I was feeling proud haha!) and slept until 1pm the next day.

On Saturday, Amanda, Sarah, and I decided to have an emotional day and so we watched three movies: Braveheart, Pearl Harbor, and Schindler's List. I have no idea what we were thinking haha! I hadn't seen the first two, but I really liked them! I had learned a little bit about Scottish history on our walking tour in Scotland, but it was so crazy to see it depicted in a movie and really realize how bad the  conflict between England and Scotland was. I cried...a lot! Pearl Harbor had me sobbing though! Not because of the love triangle, but because of the long attack scene. Of course I knew the history of the attack on Pearl Harbor, but to see it depicted, to see all of those innocent people, military members, people on the island, killed by an attack that had been in the works for months...wow. At first, I became really really mad. And then, I couldn't stop crying. I was crying so hard it was hard to breathe!! It felt like 9/11 to me, despite me not being alive when it happened. I mean wasn't it just as bad? A meticulously planned attack on our country? On innocent people? To watch the planes continue to attack, dropping bomb after bomb? Killing thousands of people? It just gave me an even deeper appreciation for our military. I guess ever since Aaron enlisted (and after he married Cassie, another active member of the military) I've been very very sensitive. I'm sure I would've felt the same regardless if I had family members serving in the military, but imagining someone I loved being attacked...wow. The angry thoughts that ran through my mind while watching what seemed like a forever long depiction of the attack surprised me greatly. I finally understood why there was so much racism after the attack, why so many Americans were afraid and angry. I'm not justifying the internment camps and horrible treatment of the Japanese after the attack, but I'm finally understanding why the fear was so great that it would lead Americans to think of such a thing--similar to how many Americans felt after 9/11, and even still feel. Fear can do so much to people.

After that, Schindler's List topped off the night haha it was a tear-filled night. Schindler saved about a thousand lives because of his efforts. It was so hard to watch the horrible events take place. It is extremely hard to grasp how such an evil and hateful thing could've happened not too long ago. It sounds impossible. So evil. My heart still breaks when I think about the holocaust. Six. Million. People. Killed. And if that breaks my human heart, I can't even imagine how it breaks God's heart. How it makes Him grieve to see the world sometimes, so full of people who choose evil and sin over His love and goodness. I am thoroughly convinced that if we all chose God, this world would be such a better place! I want to see what that looks like! In every faucet of our lives: politics, education, at home, at work! Can you imagine what that would look like? That's what I want! That's what I want to thrive for!

On a lighter note, I got to skype with Josh yesterday for an hour! I am constantly reminded of what a blessing our relationship is! He is my best friend, and I was reminded of this as we were making each other laugh a lot. Even half a world away, he still knows how to make me smile :) After skype, I stayed up late with Amanda and Sarah to watch the mid-series premiere of the walking dead. Yes, I'm addicted to a zombie show. I never thought I'd say that! Haha but it's really great and we got to watch it as it streamed live from the east coast! Thank you technology!!

As for now, I better start reading! I only have one tutorial this week, so not too much to be done, but I want to get a start on my reading :) I shall update later on this week!

Love,
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment