About Me

My photo
Hi y'all! My name is Kaylee! I am a twenty-something-year old midwestern girl by birth, southerner at heart, and life-long traveler! I am a follower of Jesus, wife of Joshua, avid reader, lover of baking & cooking, constant smiler, and pursuer of adventures in all shapes & sizes!

Friday, March 29, 2013

It's a Good Friday!

Hi all!


I hope you're having a wonderful Friday, especially because it's GOOD FRIDAY! When I was younger, I don't really remember being able to grasp what Good Friday was. We always celebrated Easter with your traditional brunch and candy, but as I got older and more into my faith, I was able to understand the real significance of this weekend. This weekend is the most important for Christians. Good Friday reminds us that Jesus actually DIED for our sins and Easter reminds us that Jesus conquered death and rose again! Easter is amazing because it's what makes Christianity different than any other religion--the founders of every other religion have a burial site, whereas Jesus doesn't have a burial site because He beat death! :D But the past few years I've also really taken Good Friday seriously, reflecting on what Jesus suffered because of me, because of you, because of all of our sins. He did it willingly and graciously. He was 100% innocent but knew this was the only way for us to have a personal relationship with God and spend eternity with Him! I am SO thankful for BOTH of these holidays because they remind us how much Jesus loves us and how awesome Jesus is! So I hope on this weekend, you're able to take some time and reflect on these holidays and what they really mean!

^^Maybe you've heard of this hymn by Isaac Watts! I love it :)
Feeling extra loved today as I reflect on my worth to Jesus :)

If you have free time and want to reflect on something, read "Dream of the Rood." It's an Old English poem I read freshman year in my English Lit to 1789 class. It's not known who wrote it or when, but it was definitely before the year 1,000AD. It's a great poem in the perspective of the cross that Jesus was crucified on and it's translated to modern English so it's understandable haha :)

I'm really thankful for this long weekend (we have today off and Monday) because it's been pretty tiresome getting up so early every morning haha! Today I slept in and then went into the city centre to do some shopping. I needed to buy a small carry on suitcase because apparently the one I brought with me doesn't meet regulations anymore, which caused me to have to pay $100 for it on the way here. Obviously I didn't want to pay that again, so I found a smaller cute cheetah one at a store in town for a good price! I also bought a cute dress and sandals because I don't have any thing for when I get to California that isn't jeans and a long sleeve shirt haha so now I'm set for when I get there until I can get my other clothes at the old apartment! After that, I went to one of the Oxford gift shops to find things for the fam, which was successful! Finally, I went to Blackwell's bookshop and got two F. Scott Fitzgerald novels for 7 euros (it was buy one get one free)! I was SO excited! So that's my big Friday night plan, starting The Great Gatsby and maybe moving onto This Side of Paradise. I'm really done with English lit haha that probably sounds stupid, but I've been studying it for the past year and a half, and it all starts to blend. It also bothers me that people mostly study English Lit. when American Lit. is so important to our history and is also just as awesome, if not better! For example, most people I know have never read Uncle Tom's Cabin. That's actually upsetting to me haha! I feel like people try so hard to make themselves more diverse and then begin to ignore their own roots, which is really sad! I LOVED all of the American novels we read in high school, so I've already made a list of American authors/novels I'm going to tackle this summer, or attempt because it's already to about twenty haha (as well as taking an American Novel class online). So we shall see what I'm able to get done :)
You know you're an English major when...haha!

Tomorrow evening, I'm heading into London to meet up with Amanda and her parents! We're going to Westminster Abbey for Easter service on Sunday morning, so that should be really neat! 

 Right now, I'm most excited about getting home in 17 days (and seeing Josh in 21)! It's all I can think about haha! I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I am just SO ready to be back! So this is how my face looks each day as I realize I'm one day closer to being with the people I love most in the world :)

Well, I'm going to start reading and continue listening to Blake Shelton's new CD :) I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment