Saturday, May 25, 2013

My Best Friend & Reflections on Parenting

Tonight, I was reminded of what is required for a couple to make it last forever--being one another's best friend. With the exciting new addition of my iphone (yay!), Josh and I have been able to "face time." For those that don't know, face time is like skype, but I find it to be easier because you can access it as easily as calling someone on your phone except you also get to see them! :) Well anyways, I had been having a hard week, missing Joshua a lot! Usually baby Luke keeps me preoccupied with his cuteness that I forget to be anything but happy, but I was just missing my best friend so much. During 2013, I'll have only spent about two weeks total with Josh over a span of eight months, until I'm finally back to California for good at the end of August. I'm pretty sure that would be trying on ANY couple, so I am really proud of us for learning so many things from this long and hard time! It will be so rewarding when we never have to leave one another again :)

When we were "face timing" tonight, an hour flew by of laughter, teasing, and sharing and I just felt warmth. I felt comfort in knowing that no matter what, this man will always be here for me. He will always love me and do whatever is necessary to make sure our relationship thrives. Although I miss Josh every single day, I am reminded of how blessed I am to have such an amazing man that I get to miss and that I will get to spend my entire life with! Many young women I know are in unhealthy relationships or desire to have any kind of relationship because they don't know what they deserve. They settle for relationships that don't make them happy, that cause stress and constant fighting over things that don't matter, etc. And the truth is, that's not how someone should make you feel! A great relationship shouldn't make you feel less than what you are, it shouldn't make you depressed, and it definitely shouldn't consist of constant bickering! Two and a half years later, I'm here to tell you the truth--when you find the love of your life, you won't have to question it! You will know by the way you feel and by the person you are around that person :)

Soooo recent reflections after having been a full-time nanny to my precious nephew for a month now...wow. I respect mothers so much more now than ever haha! Babies are perfectly cute and precious but holy cow do they require so much! I mean sometimes it requires Aaron's, Cassie's, and my own hands at one time to be doing something for Luke! Sometimes, it takes more than an hour to leave the house because of prepping the baby. It's strange how time is not measured in hours, but instead by feedings and diaper changes. But despite the poopy diapers and barfed-on clothes, there is nothing I want more in the world than to be a mom. Spending all day with Luke is so rewarding, so I know even more now that this is what I want to do with my own children. To see him smile and learn to recognize little things is so amazing! He has already grown so much in this past month and it is incredible! He is such a bundle of joy and a blessing to me! I love him more than I can put into words!

Another thing I've learned while living with Aaron and Cassie is the deeper importance of having both a mother and a father. Obviously I've come to understand how crazy difficult single moms have it, but that's not what I mean. What I mean is, men and women provide such different aspects in a child's life. I've always believed that and appreciated the presence of both father and mother figures in my life, but now witnessing it with a baby, it's even more clear to me how important it is for children to have BOTH a mom and a dad. Men and women provide such different things that are essential to a child to thrive in the world. A mother is nurturing and gentle, while a father is steadfast and provides a sense of assurance. I don't know how to explain it in an exact way, but by watching Aaron and Cassie interact with Luke, I am completely in awe of God's wisdom in knowing what we all need and deserve as children. He knows the ins and outs of our hearts and means to provide us with one of each because he created men and women uniquely, with our own needs and traits. God is just so awesome! :)

Anyways, probably time for me to go to bed! I hope you all have a great Memorial weekend and remember all those that have sacrificed for our freedoms!

Love,
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment